Thursday, June 12, 2008

Super savings!

Did you know that you can make your own laundry soap? Yes, that's right! It's super easy, very cheap and well worth it. You only need a few items like these...








You'll need to grate the bar of soap. You can also use Ivory or any other pure soap. (I've found a fun pink Mexican soap called Zote that I've heard works well.)







Okay, this is the hard part. Add one cup of Borax and one cup of washing soda to the grated soap. Mix.

You use 1Tbsp for small loads, 2Tbsp for large loads. That is all and it works great!


Here is an artful picture of the finished product.

Now I'll admit, I'm a bit a texture nut, so I gave it a quick run through the food processor so that all the texture was uniform and I figured that it would dissolve more easily too.


I have read about people making a liquid form of this but it is much more complicated, like you have to cook it on the stove! I have a hard enough time just getting dinner together! Then they say to store it in a 5 gallon bucket, have you seen the size of my laundry room? I don't have room for a 5 gallon bucket. This dry mix just fits the bill and I have been using it and it really does work! I have no complaints.

Now, if only there were an easy way to get all that laundry folded and put away....Good news! I have three kids on summer vacation that always seem to be bored.


.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I am going to try this as soon as summer starts...I have to mud lovin' girls.

Sandy said...

Julie, (this is Sandy from the apronista) anyway... you make the powdered one, well I have a front load washer and cant use the powder so I make the liquid and it is SUPER easy too, when I do it I will deff! take pictures for you. I store it in old milk jugs or just anything like that and I only make 2 gallons at a time. I also have a recipe for dishwasher soap I will dig out for ya'.
Sandy